Macadamia & Vanilla Biscuits
This is one of those times where I just threw all the ingredients together and hoped for the best. Surprisingly it worked (this never happens). What I love about biscuits like this is that they can easily be wrapped up and put in a bag to take out with you, because having food intolerances means that you can't always be sure that places will have foods that you're able to eat. Usually when I'm heading out anywhere, I put something like this in my bag just incase. There's nothing more frustraiting than being hungry but not being able to eat!
Makes: ~8 biscuits
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
1 cup of gluten free oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup macadamia nutes (will be made into macadamia meal)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2tbs pure maple syrup *
1 tsp vanilla extract *
Pinch of salt (optional)
1/4 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
1 egg *
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (fan forced)
2. Place the macadamia nuts in the blender and put on high speed to make macadamia meal (if you haven't already)
3. Mix all dry ingredients together (oats, macadamia nuts, coconut, baking powder and salt)
4. Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix until combined. The mixture should stick together but be quite a bit thicker than normal cake mixture.
5. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Using a spoon, place pieces of the mixture (~tablespoon sized) onto the tray. I find rolling them into balls first then flattening them down with a spoon once on the tray works well.
6. Cook in the oven for 10-15minutes (should begin to tinge golden/brown)
7. Take out and allow to cool & harden before eating
Make sure you get 100% pure maple syrup - not maple flavoured syrup (check the ingredients on the back, the only ingredient should be maple syrup). There is often Maple flavoured syrup, which contains a lot of sugar etc and also often contains gluten.
Be careful to get vanilla extract over vanilla essence (vanilla essence is made up of sugar and other additives, where vanilla extract is pure)
The egg can be omitted for a vegan option, the biscuits will just be slightly more crumbly - but they still works i've tested it :)