Orange & Poppy-seed Muffins
Something that I believe strongly in is that our diets shouldn’t revolve around what not to eat & what we should avoid, but more of what should we eat and what to eat instead. It shouldn’t be about restriction, but instead it should be about healthier alternatives. I like to recreaste foods/recipes based around this “healthy alternatives” principle.
I love orange and poppy seed muffins – I used to get them all the time at uni, and oh I have missed them. So here is a recipe I created that is healthy, food intolerance friendly, and yum.
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20-30mins
2 whole oranges
2 C almond meal
1tsp. Baking powder
3tbsp. Poppy seeds
2 x egg replacements (* see below)
1/3C coconut oil (can also use olive oil)
1/4C almond milk (or other milk of choice)
1tsp vanilla extract (optional)
* Egg replacement options: chia egg (1tbs chia seeds to 3 tbsp. water), flax egg (1tbs flax seed meal to 3 tbsp. water), or an ‘egg replacement’ (I used the brand Orgran).
- Pre-heat oven to 165 degrees Celsius
- Cut ends off of oranges and process in a food processor / blender.
- Add rice malt syrup, oil, almond milk and vanilla extract and process until combined
- Add almond meal, oats, baking powder, poppy seeds and egg replacements and process until combined.
- Grease muffin tins and poor mixture in
- Place in oven and cook for 20-30minutes until done (to tell insert a scewer into a muffin and if it comes out clean it’s done)